Student Housing

Bay College apartments
Bay College has apartment facilities for 100 students. The college apartments are located on the north end of the campus near the College Avenue entrance.

There are 21 four-person apartments and 8 two-person apartments. The four-person apartments are townhouses with two bedrooms and a bath upstairs, and kitchenette and living/dining area on the first floor. These apartments have a total of 814 square feet of living space. The two-person apartments have one bedroom, a bath, and a kitchenette/dining area. These apartments have 436 square feet of living space. Availability of two-person apartments is limited.

Heat, water, electricity, expanded basic cable television, and high-speed internet are included in the rent charge. 

Apartments are furnished with a twin bed and dresser for each student, as well as a kitchen table and chairs.  Kitchens are equipped with a refrigerator and stove. 

Looking for something to do? Students living in Student Housing can receive free tickets to Campus Activities Board (CAB) shows! Talk with your Resident Assistant (RA) or the Director of Student Life to get your ticket.​

Listing of CAB shows at Bay College


2018-2019 Student Housing Information

The Bay College Apartments are full for fall 2018.  However, additional Housing is available!

The college has contracted with America's Best Value Inn (located at 921 N. Lincoln Rd., Escanaba, MI 49829) to provide additional Student Housing at the same, reduced cost as on campus.  Spaces are limited, and beginning to fill.  To apply for Housing in the hotel, complete the Housing application and return as directed with the $150 Housing deposit.

Students staying in America's Best Value Inn will share a hotel room with another student.  While there is not a kitchen in the hotel, the following amenities will be provided:
  • Bed with provided linens (bed sizes vary)
  • Private bathroom per hotel room
  • sitting chairs
  • 1 mini-refrigerator per room
  • 1 microwave per room
  • 1 TV per room
  • Hot tub and sauna space in hotel
  • complimentary continental breakfast delivered to Student Housing wing 1st floor common room each morning
  • Once a week hotel room service, including vacuumming and cleaning of the bathroom
  • Convienent, one-stop billing through your Student Account
Other important information for students staying at America's Best Value Inn include:
  • All students must be 18 or over
  • No overnight guests are allowed.  The hotel will provide a discounted rate for guests who wish to stay overnight.
  • All college policies are in place for students staying at the hotel. 
  • All students staying in the hotel must attend a mandatory one-hour orientation at the hotel.  more infromation will be sent to students in the hotel.
The rent rates for 2018-2019 are:
  • 2 Person/1 Bedroom Apartment--$1600 per student/per semester
  • 4 Person/2 Bedroom Apartment--$1600 per student/per semester
  • 2 Person/1 Hotel Room --$1600 per student/per semester
Rent must be paid in full, covered entirely by financial aid, or student enrolled in FACTS payment plan by your tuition due date or your housing assignment may be canceled and your classes may be dropped.

If there is no space available when your application is received, you will be added to our waiting list and notified in writing.  Your $150 security deposit must be received with your application for it to be considered active.  In the event that we are unable to provide housing for you, your deposit will be refunded to you in its entirety.  If you cancel your Application for Student Housing, your deposit will be refunded in accordance to the schedule included on your application.


Applications and deposits should be returned to:

Dave Laur
Director of Student Life, Bay College
2001 North Lincoln Road
Escanaba, MI 49829

2018-2019 Housing Application (PDF document)

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When will I find out what apartment I am in?  Roommates?

A: Housing Assignment letters are e-mailed to the student's Bay College e-mail address beginning in mid-July, and continuing on a rolling basis. These will contain your specific apartment assignment, roommate names and contact information, and check-in information.  Housing charges for the semester will also be applied at this time.

Q: Can I have my own bedroom or apartment?

A: Single apartments and bedrooms are not currently available.  If they become available, all students with current Housing applications will receive information on securing a single space. Contact the Director of Student Life at or 906-217-4031 for more details. 

Q: When can I move in for fall semester?

A: Student Housing will open on Friday, August 24, 2018.  Check in begins at 9:00 AM and goes until 5:00 PM.  Residents can also check-in anytime after that by stopping by apartments 6 or 7 to check in with the Resident Assistants. More information will go out to students in the hotel regarding late check ins. Student Athletes - check with your coaches as your check in time may be different. 

Q: When can I move in for winter semester?

A: Student Housing re-opens on Friday, January 11, 2019. 

Q: Can I bring a pet?

A: The only pets allowed in Student Housing are harmless fish in 20 gallon tank or smaller. Please refer to the Housing Assistance Animal Policy if you have an assistance animal. 

Q: What furniture is provided? 

A: In the apartments, each student is provided with a twin bed (standard twin, NOT extra long) and a dresser in the bedroom. A kitchen table and chairs are also provided in the apartment. Hotel amenities are listed above. 


The Student Housing Handbook contains all Housing policies as well as information on occupancy schedules, items to bring and not bring to campus, etc.


Will You Be Taking Summer Classes?

Bay College offers limited housing for summer!  
Eligibility and occupancy schedule:
A.  Students are eligible who take at least one credit hour through Bay College.
     1. Summer I (5/21-6/29):
          a. Move in: Friday, 5/19/18
          b. Move out: By Noon on Saturday, 6/30/18

     2. Summer II (7/2-8/10):
          a. Move in: Starts 1pm on Saturday, 6/30/18
          b. Move out: By 5pm on Saturday, 8/11/18
B. Individuals who are working for Bay College in the summer are eligible.

     1. Student employees who are not residing in Student Housing for the fall 2018 semester must move out by 5pm on Saturday, 8/11/18, or within three (3) days of their employment with Bay College ending, whichever comes first. 
Over summer various maintenance projects occur in the Bay College Apartments.  It is probable that students will need to move from one apartment to another between Summer I and Summer II, to allow for the completion of maintenance projects in occupied apartments.  Bay College staff will communicate this to all residents in advance of the move deadline.

Rent for summer is $95/week, and includes electricity, water, high speed internet and wireless, trash pick-up from the apartment dumpster, and basic expanded cable.

Payment schedule:
A. Summer I ($570 total): 
     1. If application received by May 2nd, $570 due by 5/7/18
     2. If application received after May 2nd, $570 due by 5/24/18

B. Summer II ($570 total):
     1. If application received by June 13th, $570 due by 6/18/18
     2. If application received by after June 13th, $570 due by 7/5/18

To Apply:
Complete, print, sign and return the Summer Housing Application, found here: Summer Housing Application


Student Housing Accommodations

Student Housing accommodations will be provided to afford equal access for qualified students with documented disabilities in compliance with state and federal laws. It is the responsibility of the student to inform the College that they have a disability and that they are requesting a Student Housing accommodation. A student seeking a Student Housing accommodation must submit a written request for the accommodation along with diagnostic documentation to the Director of Student Life at the same time the student submits his/her housing application.  If further accommodations are needed, the student should submit this request, with appropriate justification, to the Director of Student Life as soon as possible.
The request should be sent to:
Dave Laur
Director of Student Life
Bay College
2001 N. Lincoln Rd.
Escanaba, MI 49829
(906) 217-4031
The written request for a Student Housing accommodation should include:

  • The student's name, student number, current address and telephone number;
  • A description of the disability for which an accommodation is requested;
  • An explanation of how the disability impacts the student's housing needs; and
  • A written description of the accommodation requested.
The diagnostic documentation submitted must adequately verify the nature and extent of the disability in accordance with current professional standards and techniques, and it must clearly substantiate the need for all of the student's specific accommodation requests. All documentation must be submitted on the official letterhead of the professional describing the disability. The report should be dated and signed and include the name, title and professional credentials of the evaluator, including information about license or certification. If the original documentation is incomplete or inadequate to determine the extent of the disability or reasonable accommodation, the College has the discretion to require additional documentation. Any cost incurred in obtaining additional documentation when the original records are inadequate is borne by the student. If the documentation is complete but the College desires a second professional opinion, the College bears the latter cost. In general, it is not acceptable for such documentation to include a diagnosis or testing performed by a member of the student's family.
Prior to making a determination of whether to grant the accommodation, the Director of Student Life may consider all of the following: the relationship between the accommodation requested and the documented disability; the objectives of the Student Housing community in which the student is eligible to live; what accommodations would effectively facilitate the student's participation in the Student Housing program and community; and the extent to which the student's condition limit his or her opportunity to participate in other college activities. The Director of Student Life may consult with the student, and anyone else the Director believes may have information that assists with making a determination. The Director of Student Life shall inform the student in writing of the decision, as well as the information upon which the decision was based.


Service Animal Policy

Persons with disabilities may be accompanied by working service animals on the campus of Bay College consistent with the provisions of this Policy.  A "pet" is any animal kept for ordinary use and companionship. Assistance animals (service and support animals), as defined below, are not considered pets.

Assistance Animals

This policy applies to assistance animals that may be used by individuals with disabilities at Bay College. The term "assistance animal" is the overarching term that refers to both service animals as well as support animals as defined below. Therefore, an assistance animal is an animal that either (1) works, provides assistance, or performs tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability; or (2) provides emotional or other type of support that alleviates one or more identified symptoms or effects of a person's disability.

A. Service Animal

A "service animal" means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the person's disability. The provision of emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship does not constitute work or tasks for the purpose of this definition. Species other than dogs or, in some cases, miniature horses, are not considered service animals for the purpose of this definition of a service animal.  The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the handler's disability. The crime deterrent effects of an animal's presence and the provision of emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship do not constitute work or tasks for the purposes of this definition.

Service animals will be permitted to accompany people with disabilities in Bay College Housing, where students, members of the public, and other participants in services, programs or activities are allowed to go. Bay College does not require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal. Individuals accompanied by a service animal in Student Housing but who do not need any disability-related accommodations are not required to register with the Director of Student Life, nor is such individual required to submit a request for a reasonable accommodation to receive access of his or her service animal.

Additionally, Bay College cannot ask about the nature or extent of a person's disability to determine whether a person's animal qualifies as a service animal. However, when it is not readily apparent that an animal (dog) is a service animal, Bay College staff may make two inquiries to determine whether the animal qualifies as a service animal, which are:

  • Is the animal (dog) required because of a disability?
  • What work or task has the animal (dog) been trained to perform?
A service animal must be housebroken (i.e., trained so that it controls its waste elimination, absent illness or accident) and must be kept under control by a harness, leash, or other tether, unless the person is unable to hold those, or such use would interfere with the service animal's performance of work or tasks. In such instances, the service animal must be kept under control by voice, signals, or other effective means.

Bay College will assess requests for the use of miniature horses by people with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. Requests should be submitted to the Director of Student Life and, consistent with applicable laws, Bay College may make modifications in its policies to permit their use if they meet certain criteria and have been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of people with disabilities.

B. Support Animals

A "support animal" is an animal that provides emotional or other support that ameliorates one or more identified symptoms or effects of a person's disability. Unlike service animals, support animals are not required to be trained to perform work or tasks, and are not limited to dogs and miniature horses.

Support animals are generally not allowed to accompany persons with disabilities in all public areas of Bay College as a service animal is allowed to do, but a support animal may reside in Bay College Housing, including accompanying such individual in all public or common use areas of Bay College Housing, when it may be necessary to afford the person with a disability an equal opportunity to use and enjoy Bay College Housing.  Before a support animal can move into Bay College Housing with a person with a disability, a request must be submitted to Bay College's Director of Student Life (DSL) and approval must be granted (preferably at least 30 days prior to move in). If the disability is not obvious, the DSL may require documentation from a licensed physician or mental health provider, including without limitation a qualified psychiatrist, social worker, or other mental health professional, to provide sufficient information for Bay College to determine:

  • that the individual qualifies as a person with a disability (i.e., has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities); and
  • that the support animal may be necessary to afford the person with a disability an equal opportunity to use and enjoy Bay College Housing (i.e. that the animal would provide emotional support or other assistance that would ameliorate one or more symptoms or effects of the disability).
While support animals are generally not allowed indoors on Bay College's campus other than in Bay College Housing, people with disabilities may request approval from the Student Success Office (SSO) to have the support animal accompany them to other campus areas. Such requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis consistent with applicable laws.

Responsibilities of People with Disabilities Using Assistance Animals

All Student Housing residents that are provided assistance animal accommodation must comply with all state laws and local animal ordinances, as well as all Student Housing policies and guidelines including, but not limited to, the following:
  • Residents must provide appropriate food, water, and shelter for assistance animals;
  • Residents must not allow assistance animals to be neglected nor abused;
  • Residents are solely responsible for cleaning up and disposing of all animal waste (both indoors and outdoors) in a timely, effective fashion;
  • Residents must not leave assistance animals alone in a room or apartment for an extended period of time; In the event that an assistance animal is left alone in a room or apartment for an extended period of time and is not being properly cared for, Student Housing will attempt to contact the resident or the emergency contact to remove the animal; If this is not successful, Student Housing may notify the appropriate authority and seek to have the animal removed.  All costs associated with removing the animal shall be the responsibility of the resident;
  • Residents must comply with all required state and municipal license requirements, including current identification and vaccination tags when applicable; assistance dogs must wear a current rabies vaccination tag; residents must provide requested verification of all veterinarian recommended vaccinations as well as proof of absence of communicable diseases, fleas and parasites (annually or as needed, thereafter);
  • Residents must not allow assistance animals to disturb, annoy, or cause any nuisance to other members of the campus community;
  • Residents are responsible for any odors, noise, damage, or other conduct of their assistance animal that disturbs others or damages the premises;
  • Residents must be in full control of the support animal at all times;
  • Residents are solely responsible for the care and supervision of assistance animals; Campus Housing assumes no responsibility for the care of a resident's assistance animal.
Waste disposal via Bay College plumbing is prohibited in Bay College residences, but Student Services or Bay College Housing can provide guidance on where to appropriately dispose of animal waste.

Bay College will not require any surcharges or fees for assistance animals. However, a person with a disability may be charged for damage caused by an assistance animal to the same extent that Bay College would normally charge a person for the damage they cause.

People with disabilities who are accompanied by assistance animals must comply with the same Bay College rules regarding noise, safety, disruption, and cleanliness as people without disabilities.

Exceptions and Exclusions

Bay College may pose some restrictions on, and may even exclude, an assistance animal in certain instances. As noted above, support animals are generally not allowed indoors on Bay College's campus other than in Bay College Housing. Persons with disabilities may request approval from the SSO to have a support animal accompany them to other campus areas as a reasonable accommodation. Such requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis consistent with applicable laws. Any animal may be excluded from an area in which it was previously authorized to be only if:
  • it is out of control and effective action is not taken to control it;
  • it is not housebroken (or in the case of a support animal that deposits waste in a designated cage or litter box, the owner fails to clean such cage or box such that the cleanliness of the room is not maintained); or
  • it poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others that cannot be mitigated by reasonable modifications of policies, practices, or procedures, or the provision of auxiliary aids or services.
In considering whether an assistance animal poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others, Bay College will make an individualized assessment, based on reasonable judgment, current medical knowledge, or the best available objective evidence, to determine: (1) the nature, duration, and severity of the risk; (2) the probability that the potential injury will actually occur; and (3) whether reasonable modifications of policies, practices, procedures, or the provision of auxiliary aids or services, will mitigate the risk.

In the event that restriction or removal of an assistance animal is determined to be necessary, the person with a disability will still be given the opportunity to participate in the service, program, or activity without having the assistance animal present.

The above provisions on restrictions and exclusions is not intended to cover modifications to reasonable accommodations. The reasonable accommodation process and modifications to reasonable accommodations are covered under Bay College's policy on reasonable accommodations.


Support animals accompanying campus visitors are only allowed in areas of campus where domesticated animals are permitted.


Director of Student Success Office

Dave Laur
Director of Student Life
Beth Berube
Director of Human Resources

For further assistance with Student Housing, please contact:

Dave Laur

Director of Student Life
Bay College Main,
2001 N Lincoln Road, Escanaba, MI 49829
906.786.5802 Main Campus Directions